Every morning I sit at my kitchen table with my Bible and my journal.
This blog is a result of those times of reflection and conversation with God.

Sunday, May 11, 2014

The Awesomeness of Being a Woman (who happens to be a Wife and Mom)

Before I became a Christian, I considered myself a die hard feminist.  I would read books by Gloria Steinem and argue heatedly with males around me about our equality.  I believed I could and should do anything a man could do.  I often felt bitterness towards men and towards the inequalities I saw perpetuated in media and elsewhere.  When I became a Christian, I wasn't sure what to think anymore.  There were so many conflicting messages of what being a woman meant. Did being a Christian woman mean hiding in the background silently serving having no opinions or thoughts of my own?  I admit I felt stifled and confused.  Why would God create me with a brain and then tell me to shut up?  Why would he say you are all equal except not really?

I truly don't have the time or the wisdom to address the scope of the issues between men and women and our differing roles, but I will say that I have come to an understanding about God's perspective.  I now understand that God values us both equally and that we both reflect His own characteristics.  Yes, the men tend to reflect that stronger aspect of God--His authority, His intense jealous love, His single-minded attention to His goals.  But, we too, exhibit His important characteristics--His tender emotions, His love and need for relationship, His beauty.  Apart, male and females are only half the image--together we see the whole picture.

For you  see, my husband is the head of the home but me? I am the heart.

And that is such a huge responsibility that it humbles me daily.  The saying that goes "Nobody's happy if Mama's not happy" is no joke.  Our emotions set the tone for our home.  If we are happy and at peace, the home is happy and at peace.  When we are bitter, frustrated, and angry, well, you get it.  Nobody is happy then.  One time when I was in funk, I came across this extremely convicting verse. Proverbs 14:1 says, "The wise woman builds her house, but the foolish pulls it down with her own hands."  Wow.  I remember being completely taken aback.  I am responsible for the building up of my house.  

That means that what I do at home is important.  That also means the colossal lie that Satan has fed our culture that what women do in the home is not important or is demeaning is exactly that, a lie.  A lie that I will not listen to anymore.  When I read Proverbs 31, I don't see a weak, timid, wisp of a woman.  I see a woman who is smart, industrious, and independent.  But what's important to note is that she isn't building her own kingdom. She's building her home.  And the result?  "Her children rise up and call her blessed; Her husband also, and he praises her."  But even more important than the accolades of her family is the recognition she gets from God.  "...a woman who fears the Lord , she shall be praised.  Give her the fruit of her hands, and let her own works praise her in the gates."  (Prov 31:28, 30b-31).  All of these acts (and they are impressive--read Proverbs 31:13-27) are motivated by her reverence for the Lord.  These acts are acts of worship.  

So on this Mother's Day, as you are honored by your families, remember that God also watches.  He watches His daughters with delight.  He calls them to acts of strength, self-sacrifice, and love.  He tells them to serve with diligence even when they are not being recognized.  He tells them to build their homes to look like His Home.

And, one day, when He calls us home, we will not feel like we are going to an altogether foreign place, but will recognize in His home those things that we have been building in our homes for many years.  And then we will finally, thank God, get to rest!


3 comments:

  1. Tear!!! Another verse I remind myself of on a daily basis - Proverbs 21:19 It is better to dwell in the wilderness, than with a contentious and an angry woman. Great post, it was very encouraging to me. Being a stay at home mom is extremely challenging, and I don't always see the fruits of my labor right away. Thankful that God knows me and my heart!!!

    ReplyDelete