Every morning I sit at my kitchen table with my Bible and my journal.
This blog is a result of those times of reflection and conversation with God.

Sunday, December 20, 2015

Why I'm Not Afraid of ISIS


Recently, as I scrolled through social media, I saw a post where ISIS has revealed a list of cities they will target.  The person who posted this was shocked by the seemingly remote and insignificant cites that were mentioned on this city.  I don’t know if this list is true—it could be ISIS propaganda or even a sick joke.  However, I want to boldly say that I am not afraid of ISIS. 

Why am I choosing to not be afraid? 

It’s not because I think I am strong enough to fight them off.  I’m not. 

It’s not because I’m in denial about the real tragedies of life and don’t think this could possibly touch me.  Tragedy is no respecter of persons.

It’s not because I’m so confident God will stop them from getting me or my family.  He’s made no such promise. 

I am not afraid because I have hope in what comes after this life. 

All this life can truly promise is a cycle of suffering and redemption.  As privileged Americans, we sometimes think that we can live in perpetual safety and happiness.  That’s not the true nature of this fallen world.  We can insulate ourselves, but this insulation is not real protection.  The only true protection is a confidence in a redemption so big, we can only see a corner of it. 

My hopes are wrapped up in the following statements:

1)     We are more than bodies.  If you subscribe to the secular worldview that says that you are only a physical creature then, yes, you should be afraid. This is all you’ve got, apparently. If, however, you are a believer in the God of the Bible, we have promises that ensure that this is only the beginning.  In terms of my beloved punctuation, death is a comma, not a period.

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16 (NIV)

“For my Father's will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day." John 6:40 (NIV)

2)     True justice is on its way.  I think we have a great justice system here in America.  Having served on a jury, I was impressed by how each juror took seriously the implications of our judgment.  We were overwhelmed by the responsibility we had in removing the freedom of the defendant.  Even still, we all knew there was a weakness. We didn’t have all the information.  We could only make a judgment based on the information presented to us.  It is not so with God.  All men will stand before Him, and He will judge with true justice because He has all the information, even the intents of the heart.  This gives me confidence because that means that, while we should never stop looking for justice here on Earth, no one is getting away with anything in the long run (including myself).  This hope in true justice reminds me that all evil will be punished.  The evil that ISIS is doing now will be dealt with.

“There is only one lawgiver and judge, he who is able to save and to destroy.” James 4:12a (NIV)

3)     We have the word of hope.  Ours is truly the only message worth dying for.  We, as Christians, follow a long legacy of people willing to die for their enemies—to give rather than take.  We have something precious to give this world. 

“Very truly I tell you, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds.” John 20:24 (NIV)

I say all this to remind my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ, to not be afraid, but to be ready.  Be ready to share the Gospel, to live out the hope that you have, to stare evil in the face and offer it Christ.  In this way, we will demonstrate that we are true disciples.  

No comments:

Post a Comment